Hey everyone. I am back from vacation – you can see some pics about that here: https://herestothegoldendays.blogspot.com/2018/02/cruisin.html
We had a great time, and luckily we were smart enough to use up our groceries and scrub down the apartment before we left. That meant that we came home to a clean place, but it also meant that we haven’t had any groceries. As a result, I’m having a little bit of trouble sticking to my vegetarian diet right now. I have grabbed some foods here and there from the places we’ve gone, but it was significantly easier on the cruise to just go to the buffet and get all of my veggies and alt-proteins everyday.
All that aside, today is about a tried and true: Chicken and Rice.
Chicken and rice is incredibly easy – so much so that it may not be worth, to some, that I have a post about it. Last night, however, I made a delicious batch of it. So, without further ado, here is my chicken and rice recipe…
At its base level, you really only need chicken and rice, and maybe some salt and pepper. Obviously, culinary experts will say that’s not all you should have for a recipe, but the stars are the rice and the chicken, designed to be a simple dish. Last night I threw in some more ingredients to give the flavor a bit of a boost and enhance this dish!
- 3 cups of jasmine white rice
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of rosemary
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp of chives
- 1 tbsp of parsley
- 1/2 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Thawed chicken (I used cutlets from the market, enough to properly boil in the 6 cups of water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil your chicken in the 6 cups of water until chicken is cooked all the way through – may take up to 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove from pot and set aside to cool, pour water from pot into crockpot.
- While the chicken cools, in a pan with olive oil, carefully saute the minced garlic – medium heat for 30 seconds should treat it well without burning.
- Once complete, add garlic and its juices to the crockpot.
- Add the paprika, chives, salt, pepper, chicken seasoning, butter, rosemary and parsley to the mixture in the crockpot.
- Pour in the 3 cups of rice.
- Once the chicken has cooled enough, pull it apart into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours, until the broth has completely been absorbed by the rice. Feel free to stir once every hour or so to make sure all ingredients are distributed evenly.
The result should be a very chicken-y rice where the garlic and butter, especially, enhances those flavors.
Where I come from, we serve it with a side of hot sauce for optional heat for the folks eating it. How do you serve and eat your chicken and rice?
Let me know if you try this in the comments, or just say hi! Also, don’t forget about my little post/request: What would you like to see on this blog? I have a lot of great ideas for a couple of series here.
I have also created an Instagram for this particular blog! You can follow my foodie adventures there, as well: https://instagram.com/thymenagain